Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Providence: The Protective Care of God

I remember learning the phrase "God's providential care" in high school, tucking that thought away in my brain, but never fully recognizing that idea until the past few years. I have always thought that God would take care of me and I would even verbalize it; but truly believing it and surrendering to this idea whole-heartedly is something that I'm still learning to do. Not because I don't believe it, but because I like to be in control and I like to plan everything out. But that's not always what God desires for me. There are times when He wants me to walk through valleys to realize that He will see me through regardless of anything I've tried on my own. Like everyone else, I have gone through hardships but my faith in God and His providential care is what has seen me through.

Just today, Ben and I were reminded again of how amazing God's timing is. When we sold our house last summer, we were supposed to receive some funds after the closing. While we received part of them, we had not seen the remainder at all....until today, when we received the checks. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but here's the incredible part. Due to my maternity leave, I went several weeks without pay. In addition, my place of employment stated that I would have to pay the insurance premium for December (which is roughly what I make in one month). Well, I have been putting funds into savings to pay this insurance bill, but we recently have had some car repairs (for both cars, of course) that were not in our budget and it put a dent in our savings. So, we weren't where we needed to be. And then the checks came. Not just some added funds to help, but literally the EXACT amount we needed to add to our savings to pay the insurance premium.

When I saw that today, I had chills. I know this was no coincidence, but just another example of how God takes care of us. Coincidences like this give me the opportunity to praise God for his grace and protection. It reminds me that God is in everything I do and He will take care of me. How sweet it is to trust in Jesus and know that He is with me.

Matthew 10:30-31

"But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows."

No comments:

Post a Comment